Thursday, June 5, 2008

A Beginning

The blog is up and running! As my profile indicates, I am a United Church of Christ pastor serving a local church in Miami, Florida. I have begun this blog as part of my sabbatical experience from July 1 - October 31, 2008. Having been blessed with a Lilly Foundation Grant for Pastoral Renewal, I will be spending the bulk of my sabbatical in South America with the express of purpose of learning to speak and understand Spanish. My hope is that I will return to Miami, where I have lived and worked for 14 years, better equipped to communicate with and serve a wider variety of people. In my years here I have learned very little Spanish, primarily because I did not need to in order to function. But it has become increasingly clear that if I am to better serve people and if I truly want to extend extravagant hospitality and welcome to people of Spanish heritage and descent, then I need to learn the language and some of the cultures which inform who they are and from where they have come. I will be sharing more thoughts about the importance of language, culture, rest, renewal, re-creation, travel, and on many more topics in the coming months.

6 comments:

John Bowling said...

Enjoy! Be safe! And foremost, come back home to us!

Unknown said...

Vaya con Dios, Steve! Gracias para escribir notas en su "blog site"! Sera muy interesante para nosotros saber lo que Ud. hace, y tambien las paises y ciudades que Ud. puede visitar! Que experiencia maravillosa para Ud.!

Con mucho carino, Lucy Kelley

Anonymous said...

How glad we are for you and your adventure! Our very best to you and Dianne and the family - vaya con Dios!

Anonymous said...

May Spirit sing to you along your journey, and may you dance to the music!

Blessings
Paula Elizabeth

Swemwig said...

Blessings on your journey, Steve!

May Spirit sing to you along the way, and may your spirit dance in response.

Anonymous said...

Have fun! And remember to bring back some spanish!

peace,
the suescun family