Thursday, July 31, 2008

First Impressions of Buenos Aires

Having landed in Buenos Aires at 7:05 a.m. local time, having Sergio transport me from the airport to my first lodging, Caseron Porteno, via taxi, and having had a fitful night, I spent today slowly settling in. I first got acquainted with my lovely, simple, spare, unpretentious, but very warm and cozy and comfortable Bed & Breakfast, or, Tango Guest House, Caseron Porteno. I met Maria and Daniel & Cynthia. I got into my room and began getting my computer set-up, with the correct plug adaptor (and glory be, by HP provided AC adaptor cord does work here in Argentina with its 220 volt power source.) My computer is up and running, fully charged and running on alternating current coming from the wall socket! I then went exploring in this little corner of Buenos Aires. My first impressions:
1. BA is a large, busy city, with the emphasis on "city"! It is definitely an urban landscape. Much of this neighborhood appears old, poor, run-down and falling apart. They seem to be repairing almost every sidewalk, or needing to repair it. It is actually a very dirty city, with lots of dogs and their resultant dog waste. There is also lots of trash, paper, etc., blowing around on the streets. There is much that is not attractive about this city, but at the same time, walking around, I did notice that there are spots, here and there, where the old European or colonial architecture is very good and intriguing, it actually looks quaint and attractive.
2 There is not much English spoken in this neighborhood. The B & B staff are very bilingual, but walking around, the average retail, bank, service, eatery & restaurant personnel are not very bilingual. I had an adventure trying to change money at the local banks, where very few of the tellers seemed to understand English. Ordering lunch was another adventure and I ended up with an extra "platillos" to go along with my empanadas. I did not realize I had ordered it, but it was good and created a very filling lunch.
3. I was surprised to see palm trees here. As well as Blockbuster Video, many of the familiar brand names in the pharmacy, such as Pantene shampoo and conditioner, Colgate toothpaste, etc. Also, gasoline costs about the same as it did back home in Miami!
4. I enjoyed a very low-key day. I basically got settled in, did some initial exploring, and just took it easy recovering from my flight. I did nap a little in the afternoon, but not much and I am really fading now. It is about 10 p.m. local time, only 9 p.m. Miami time which is what I am on, except I have not really had much sleep in the past 36 hours. So I will end my post here. Tomorrow I am going to explore further afield. I plan to take the subway downtown and identify some of the future locations, like where I am moving to on Sunday, where the school site is, the bus terminal, etc. I will take some pictures and post them when I get back.

No comments: