Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Wildlife in the Boundary Waters

It has been a few days since I last posted. We have been visiting my family (my Dad and one brother and one sister with her little boy) since landing in St. Louis on Sunday, July 13. I will share reflections on this part of the trip in a later post. With this post I want to share the wonderful wildlife Paul and I encountered in the Boundary Waters. This was, without a doubt, the most richly blessed trip I have ever made to this wilderness area in terms of the variety and amount of wildlife I observed. The list included:
2 white-tailed deer
4 Bald Eagles, one up close
1 Golden Eagle, very close (right above our campsite in a tree)
Many loons, some in flight
Vultures
Crows
numerous song birds
Canadian Jays
3 Beaver
4 - 7 otter
Several wood ducks
Several sea gulls
A leech
A painted turtle laying eggs on one of our campsites
several frogs
several different kinds of butterflies
Dragonflies
1 Pine Marten
squirrels
1 Snake
1 Moose!

I have seen most of these things before on trips to the Boundary Waters, but I cannot recall ever seeing this much variety and this many critters all in one trip. I can certainly enjoy the wilderness without seeing many of these animals, but they truly add to the joy and excitement and wonder of the trip. If you would like to see some photos of some of the wildlife, click on this link to go to my gallery. http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=6d2p4u6.4zlns29e&x=0&y=rcj95a&localeid=en_US

No comments: