Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Classes Have Begun!

I am a bit behind in posting because Spanish language classes began on Monday, three days ago, and I have been very busy, between 4 hours of class each morning, afternoon activities, and homework! The classes began with us diving right in the deep end! La profesora es muy rapido! I am not sure that is proper construction, but for you English only speakers, my professor, a woman named Ana Lema, began in Spanish and continues almost exclusively in Spanish. It is a true immersion teaching technique. The class is small, myself and one other student, Philip, from San Francisco. Out teacher is very nice, very good, but she expects a lot! When we slow her down and ask questions properly in Espanol, she slows down and takes time with us. But then she is ready to move on to the next concept and away we go!

The second day I forgot my student books! Muy stupido! I left in a hurry and assumed they were in my backpack, but they weren't. So I had to borrow a book, take notes in my journal, and later transcribe them to my student notepad! The classes are very taxing. My brain definitely feels on overload by the time we finish. We have 4 hours of lessons, with about a 30 minute break, and the time seems to fly by. As I said, we move from one concept to another quickly. We have been conjugating verbs galore and I have learned that there are mucho, mucho irregular verbs in Spanish. There are a few rules to help with them, but to know which ones the rules apply to, you basically have to memorize them. As Ana says, that is why it is so difficult for Spanish speakers to speak properly, even those who learn from very young. And I always thought English was a tough language because of all the exceptions to the rules. Doesn't seem that way to me right now!

On a positive note, though, I noticed today that I am actually beginning to understand the teacher. So I have a feeling that my brain is actually beginning to shift. I have hope that by the end of my six weeks of lessons I will actually have some ability to speak and understand Spanish. But right now, it still feels a long way to go. Yesterday she asked us to compose some dialogues, similar to some examples, but not exactly, not copied, and I was stunned! We have been doing some verbs, but until today, very few nouns, so I was at a real loss. But I worked at it and came up with something. I do think the approach will work, but it is mind-blowing and mind-numbing at the same time.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great!! Clases de Español...Como estas? I have been reading your blog, I have tried to post comments, but somehow I mess up...I have Evie next to me now, see if this works! Sounds like you are having a great experience there..and it will take you sometime to adjust to the new culture and language you are in, but you will do just fine...our prayers are with you...more to come... hasta pronto!
Antonia...

Anonymous said...

By the way...is the sun still out? I do hope so...and keep warm! Evie sends her best to you.

Anonymous said...

Muy buen!! Kelsey is filled with labels in Espanol. We are trying our best to provide some conversation for you when you return. Our prayers are for your mind to remain opened and sponge like. We are very proud of you.
cin.k

Charlotte B said...

I hope the CCC students can appreciate our low-stress approach to teaching Spanish now after reading your blogs on how difficult and stressful the immersion method can be. It's all about bending your ear or having your ear become accustomed to the very different cadence. Wait 'til you get here...your ear will have to make yet another shift to understand the Spanish speakers of Miami! But it's all worth it: the stress, the pace, the frustration. Immersion is historically the best and fastest method for learning languages.
I'm really glad because it sounds like you're really getting the most out of the experience.
La paz del Señor este contigo!