Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Warm Days Bring Warm Memories




The past two days in Cordoba have been gloriously warm. Evidently they are having a very warm winter, which is fine for this Miamian who cannot get used to being this far south of Miami and usually being far colder than anything in Miami. (Just wait until I get to Bariloche! In the Andes! With snow! Brrrrr!) But Cordoba has been a welcome relief to my soul and my body. It has been pushing 30 degrees (that´s centigrade, folks, not Fahrenheit) which is in the mid-80s! The past two days I have been hot in my long sleeve shirts without my jacket! I could have been in short-sleeves, and probably will be tomorrow.

The sun and the blue sky and the warm temp brought back a nice memory of Buenos Aires. Early last week, in the middle of all the cold we had been having, Tuesday warmed up (though not quite this warm), the sun came out, and the sky was blue. I walked down to Plaza San Martin that afternoon to take some pictures and found the park filled with PorteƱos enjoying the sun. They were lying on the hillside in pairs, small groups, and solo. They were sitting on benches with their eyes closed, faces tilted toward the sun, drinking it in. I even saw one man in a business suit (very sharp looking) lying in the grass taking his siesta! It was a joy to see and to see them truly enjoying the warm weather. Undoubtedly part of my initial reaction to the city and to their hard, unsmiling faces when passing them on the busy streets the first few days after I arrived was due to the fact that I later learned they had not had sun for about 20 days straight. That would make any person sour and depressed. When the days warmed up they certainly appeared much happier and I began to catch a glimpse of the beauty and joy in their souls.

The pictures at the beginning of this post are from my first day in Cordoba, which illustrates how warm it was right from my arrival. If you wish to see the Kodak gallery album with pictures of my visit to Plaza San Martin, follow this link: http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=6d2p4u6.a7sf63ru&x=0&y=-7csn5p&localeid=en_US

No comments: