Thursday, August 20, 2009

Taking Paul to College







Crickets & cicadas serenaded us all night long. Walking around Liberty Park this morning I watched the sunrise over the Wasatch Mountains. Most of the yards in this quiet neighborhood have beautiful wildflowers growing. There is definitely a small town feel to this city. Yes, we are no longer in Miami! Yesterday, after five hours of flying time, with a stopover in Dallas, Texas added in, Paul and I arrived in Salt Lake City, Utah where he will be living for the next four years as a student at Westminster College.

It is wonderful to be back in Salt Lake City. The two years I spent here as a student at Westminster back in the mid-1970's were some glorious, fun, stimulating, challenging and wonderful years. Breaking away from my roots in St. Louis, Missouri undoubtedly helped me to develop my traveling lifestyle that has taken me to Atlanta, GA; Elkhart, IN; Palm Bay and Miami, FL as places I have called home and to almost all of the 48 lower states, plus France, England, Italy, Israel, Argentina & Peru, as places I have visited. In my heart, I truly believe this experience at Westminster College in Salt Lake City, so far from home in Florida where he has lived for his first 18 years of life, will bring similar possibilities into Paul's life.

When we touched down in Salt Lake City yesterday my stomach suddenly filled with butterflies. I don't fully understand it yet, whether I am excited for him, nervous for him, or what. I will explore those reflections in another post later this trip. For now we are off to set-up a bank account for Paul, purchase needed items for his dormitory room, and continue exploring his new home. The pictures with this post were taken at the Wildflowers B&B where we are staying. It is just three blocks from the campus and is run by two lovely women who provided a marvelous breakfast. Paul is framed by the Wasatch Mountains to the east (which is why they are washed out by the early morning sun), I am standing in front of the B&B, and the chickens live in this coop in the back yard (we have not had eggs for breakfast yet, but I'm betting we will!)

No comments: