Sunday, September 14, 2008

My New Home - All My Own!



I am sitting in my 9th floor apartment in Buenos Aires watching Sunday Night Football (yes, the American version: Pittsburgh Steels vs. Cleveland Browns) but with a Spanish soundtrack. So I get to do a very US activity, but practice my Spanish at the same time! (Although I admit, this is not much practice, since I mostly just watch.

I have returned to Buenos Aires and am living in an apartment in Palermo, which is west of downtown by probably three or four miles, maybe more. It is several subway stops, that is for sure. It is a very nice, quiet neighborhood. And the apartment building seems very quiet. It helps that I am on the top floor, so there is no one above me to make noise. The apartment is small, one big room, but on three levels, so it adds some separation. The bedroom is on one level at the end with the sliding door and the little balcony. The living area is three steps down and includes a seating area, a TV, a small fireplace, and a dining table. Then there are three steps up to the entry area and the bathroom and kitchen. It is nice and cozy.

But it is not Bariloche! Instead of the gorgeous view of the mountains and lake, I have a gorgeous view of the backsides of several old and worn apartment buildings, looking nine floors down into a crummy looking little patio area. I don't even had a view of the city, other than the view you will see in the pictures.

However, it is my own space! That is the most important part at this point in time. I really enjoyed what I learned and the hospitality shown to me, by the four families I stayed with the past 6 weeks, but after living in a bedroom in someone else's home for that long I am ecstatic with any space, as long as I can call it my own (at least for the next 4 weeks!) This place is quite cozy and comfy and I know I will be very happy here the next 4 weeks.

No comments: