Monday, September 8, 2008

Signs my Spanish is improving




The primary reason for taking my Sabbatical in Argentina was to learn the Spanish language. (It was not the primary reason for my Sabbatical. Rather, 28 years in ministry without such a break and the importance of time for renewal for my spirit, mind, and body were the primary reasons. They are the reasons any and every pastor should be taking regular sabbatical breaks during their careers.) But I could have accomplished those goals in many different ways, in many different places, with a different Sabbatical. But a secondary, important reason for this time away from the regular duties of the pastorate was to have time to immerse myself in a Spanish-speaking culture to develop the ability to communicate in Spanish.

This past weekend I had several experiences that confirm for me that I am developing that ability. First, on Friday afternoon I had walked to town after school to withdraw some money from the bank. On my way back up the hill to the house where I was staying, a group of chicas (young girls) stopped me and asked me, in Spanish, where Calle Mitre was located. I actually understood them, and I was able to tell them where it was, in Spanish. Now I realize this was not a complicated task, but it all happened so naturally, without any great struggle on my part, which is the real indicator for me of my growing ability with the language.

On Saturday, I rode the bus up the lake to Porto Panuelo and took the boat excursion on the lake that visits Isla Victoria and the Bosque Arrayanes. On the boat I met a very nice young couple from Chicago, Tom and Jennifer, who live in the River West neighborhood and were vacationing in Argentina with almost no Spanish skills at all. I was quite impressed with their adventurous spirit. I also met a very nice young family from Tigre, which is a distant suburb of Buenos Aires. (Their two daughters are pictured above trying to feed the sea gulls crackers on the boat.) I spoke with them quite a bit, all in Spanish. They overheard me telling someone I had been in Cordoba, and the wife/mother was originally from Cordoba. They also heard that I was from Florida, and they are planning to take their daughters, about 6 and 9 years old and extremely cute and precocious, to Orlando next year. I also carried on a conversation with one of the guides about the Bosque Arrayanes, all in Spanish.

Then on Sunday I had what turned into quite an adventure. It was a beautiful day again, so after relocating to my new home I set out for Colonia Suiza. This is a little hamlet in the mountains where Swiss immigrants settled over 100 years ago. There is supposed to be a city bus, line #10 run from downtown to this little town, but I never saw one of those buses this entire day. Rather than wait around in downtown for one, I started walking west on the lakeside road, figuring I could flag one down when it came along. I walked about 5 kilometers and then stopped at a bus-stop to wait for a bus. I waited about an hour and finally decided to take the next #20 bus to Cerro Campanerio, from where I figured I could walk to Colonia Suiza. I did. It turned out to be 6-7 kilometers, up and down some pretty steep hills, over some very muddy roads. I finally found the town and enjoyed a delicious late lunch of Goulash con Spetzle followed by Mousse de Chocolate con Café chico. Fue muy rico! (It was very delicious!) I then inquired with the owner of the restaurant where the bus stop was located and she directed me, but said it would be two hours before one came. So, she flagged down her parents who were just leaving to drive back to town and they gave me a ride into Centro Civico. The entire 27 kilometers we conversed in Spanish! We discussed life in Argentina, in the United States, about the church, about politics, all in Spanish. It was the greatest kindness shown to me so far in Argentina and it was a real sign I am growing in my ability with the Spanish language.

In addition, I am communicating much more freely with my hostess and with service people around town (waiters & waitresses, those who work in the little markets, the bus drivers and taxi drivers.) Compared to my almost total inability to use the language 5 weeks ago, I am truly amazed at the progress I have made.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I am so happy you found some friendly people to have conversations with. I know how difficult it is being in a foreign country and not having a person to show you some kindness or someone that speak the same language. But at the end it will all be of benefit to you. You have been very courageous in going to a Spanish speaking country and have been able to manage in communicating, and move around without a guide!
Bravo! for you...
The views from your new place seems beautiful!
A beautiful view always help to reflect about life and a the meaning of it.
Below is a poem by Mother Teresa that you may be familiar with. In your last paragraph reflecting about life, reminded me of it..my favorite way of describing life by Mother Teresa
Life is a possibility, embrace it.
Life is beautiful, admire it.
Life is wonderful, enjoy it.
Life is a dream, follow it.
Life is a bewilderment, face it.
Life is a mission, fulfill it.
Life is a game, play it.
Life is a treasure, cherish it.
Life is rich, savior it.
Life is lovely, revere it.
Life is a mystery, uncover it.
Life is pain, endure it.
Life is a song, sing it.
Life is a tragedy, forbear it.
Life is luck, benefit from it.
Life is an adventure, be regardful of it.
Life is very precious, delight in it.
Life is a war, learn from it.
Life is life, fight for it.